Praskı Hrad | Prague Castle | Prager Burg | Château De Prague | Castello di Praga | Castillo de Praga | Prahan Linna | Kastilyo ng Prague | Praga Burgo | Kastil Praha | Zamek na Hradczanach
Prague Castle was founded around 880 by prince Borivoj of the Premyslid dynasty. The first stone building in the castle area was the Church of the Virgin Mary of which only remnants can be seen today. In the 10th century, St. George’s Basilica was founded and the first Czech convent was established there – St. George’s Convent, which now houses a gallery. St. Vitus Rotunda, also from the 10th century, was replaced by St. Vitus Basilica in the 11th century, and it is where St. Vitus Cathedral stands today.
The history of the castle stretches back to the 9th century (870). The first walled building was the church of Our Lady. Basilicas of St. George and St. Vitus were founded in the first half of the 10th century. The first convent in Bohemia was founded in the castle, next to the church of St. George. A Romanesque palace was erected here during the 12th century. In the 14th century, under the reign of Charles IVthe royal palace was rebuilt in Gothic style and the castle fortifications were strengthen. In place of rotunda and basilica of St. Vitus began building of a vast Gothic church, that have been completed almost six centuries later. During the Hussite Wars and the following decades the Prague Castle was not inhabited. In 1485 King Ladislaus II Jagello begins to rebuild the castle. The massive Vladislav Hall was added to the Royal Palace. Then were also built new defence towers on the northern side of the castle. A big fire of 1541 destroyed large parts of the castle. Under Habsburgs some new buildings in renaissance style appeared here. Ferdinand I built Belvedere, summer palace for his wife Anne. Rudolph II used Prague Castle as his main residence. He founded the northern wing of the palace, with the Spanish Hall, where his precious artistic collections were exhibited. Second Prague defenestration in 1618 began the began the Bohemian Revolt. During the subsequent wars the Prague Castle was damaged and dilapidated. Many works from the collection of Rudolph II were looted by Swedes in 1648, in the course of the Thirty Years’ War. The last major rebuilding of the castle was carried out by Empress Maria Theresa in the second half of the 18th century. Ferdinand V after abdication in 1848 chose Prague Castle as his home. In 1918 the castle became the seat of the president of the new Czechoslovak Republic. The New Royal Palace and the gardens were renovated by slovenian architect Joze Plecnik.
Saint Vitus Cathedral
Saint Vitus Cathedral is the seat of the Archbishop of Prague. The full name of the cathedral is St. Vitus, St. Wenceslas and St. Adalbert Cathedral.
Located within Prague Castle and containing the tombs of many Bohemian kings, this cathedral is an excellent example of Gothic architecture.
Construction began in 1344 according to the designs of Matthias of Arras; after his death in 1352 it was taken over by Peter Parler. He completed only the choir and part of a southern transept. The cathedral was not finished until the 19th century, when the nave and western twin-tower façade were built.